I am not a qualified Doctor, Psychiatrist, nor do I have a degree in Biochemistry, these tips & tricks are things I have picked up over the years and I have used successfully.
The Common Cold or Flu
Nothing Could ever beat
Mum's Lemon Honey Drink
It is hard to get dissolvable Disprin's now, so if you can't get them, just take 2 Panadol or Paracetamol at the same time as drinking the drink.
I Lemon, juiced
1 Teaspoon of honey
1 or 2 Disprin's
Boiling Hot Water
Add the boiling water to the mix and stir until Disprin's are dissolved.
Soak your feet in warm water, it will help relieve any headaches or nasal congestion you get during your cold.
Crush some ginger and extract 1 teaspoon of the juice.
Sweeten with honey and take this three times a day for four days
Everyone know to rub Vicks on their backs and chest, but fif you know that if you rub it on your feet and then put socks on that it permeates a heat from your toes right upwards towards your head.
You can actually feel it working.
Dissolve Vicks in an old bowl and stir till dissolved.
Cover the bowl with a towel and place your head in between the bowl and the towel so you can totally inhale the vicks mixture, this will help to clear a bad head cold.
Boil half a bowl of water, add few drops of eucalyptus oil and inhale the steam.
Take 5 to 7 cloves and boil them in 120 ml water.
When only one-fourth of the solution remains off the stove.
Inhale the vapour when the liquid is hot.
And when it cools down, drink it
Homemade Nasal Spray For Blocked Nose
Place a little salt water in your cupped hands and sniff it into the nose or you can if you have it add it to a spray bottle.
Cure For Runny Nose
Lemon and Honey:
This remedy is very beneficial in the bad cold.
Squeeze juice of two lemon in half liter of water.
Boil it and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
This liquid should be taken at bedtime.
- A teaspoon of honey is the best way to cure sore throats.
- A clove placed in the mouth throughout the day is a good remedy.
- Another solution is to take half teaspoon of powered garlic with a drop of milk just before going to bed at night
- Put 1 teaspoonful salt in a glass of warm water and gargle.
- Ginger Tea
- Boil water. Add a dash of cinnamon, a little piece of ginger, 1 tsp honey and drink.
- Heat water with 2 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of honey and sip
- Take 1 tsp fresh ginger juice, ½ tsp honey and a pinch of turmeric. Swallow this mixture at least three times a day.
- Heat ½ glass milk, add less than ¼ tsp of turmeric and sugar. Drink while warm.
- Add ½ a raw onion, 2 cloves, 4-5 mint leaves, 2-3 black peppercorns and a small stick of cinnamon to a glass of water. Boil it thoroughly, strain and have while it is still warm. To reduce the spicy taste, you could add 1 tsp of honey.
Lemon Compress for sore throats
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice and one cup of warm water
- Take a thin cotton cloth and submerge it into the lemon mixture
- Once the cloth is moist, but not dripping wet, apply it to the throat
- Wrap the cloth around the neck with a warm wool scarf and tie it to keep it secure
- Leave the compress on for about 30 minutes to one hour
- You can continue this process on your child throughout the day, but watch for redness or a rash
- Honey is the best known medicine for cough
- Drink plenty of plain water.
- Breathe in hot water vapour to clear the nose.
- Have 1 to 2 glassfuls of plain cabbage juice a day.
- Boil three carrots for 15 minutes, extract the juice and mix it with water to make half a glassful. Drink hot five or six times a day.
- Boil three onions cut in quarters in 1/2 litre water for 5-10 minutes, strain the mixture, sweeten and drink as much as possible throughout the day.
- Pour one cup of boiling water over a piece of ginger, ½ tsp ground cloves and ½ tsp cinnamon. Filter it, sweeten with honey and have it sip by sip. This helps when there is mucus in the cough.
- Caffeine, drink coffee
- Crush a few bulbs of fresh garlic and rub on the forehead.
- Apply thinly sliced potatoes on forehead. Replace with fresh ones as they dry up.
- Cut a lemon in half. Apply each half to each temple and hold them in place for 10-15 minutes with a handkerchief or scarf bound round your head.
- Just boil mint in a glass of water for 10 minutes and then drink when cold, or sip while hot
The juice of ripe grapes is very effective in curing migraine. It should be taken everyday to get quick relief
Garlic is very effective in curing migraine. Crush some cloves of garlic to extract juice. Instill two drops of garlic juice in the nostril on the side which has concentration of pain. Also the paste of garlic can be applied on the affected side of the forehead to get relief from pain. This paste should be kept for 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove all clothing or wear loose clothes made from thin material so that your body gets lots of fresh air.
Get someone to fan your body. It helps lower the body temperature.
Sponge the whole body with a wet towel. If this is not possible sponge the chest and forehead constantly till fever subsides.
Take soft foods like porridge and soft-boiled rice, and drink plenty of plain water or fruit juices.
Wash a fistful of green peas thoroughly and let them dry. Fry without oil, place in a cup, add cold water and leave for a while before drinking.
Use the lemon compress recipe above but place the compress where the fever is e.g feet, head
Boosting Your Immune System
Lemongrass, Just boil it with 2 glasses of water for 10 minutes and either sip while hot or cool and drink.
Tomatoes and Cabbage juice.
Chop both vegetables and place these in a blender with some water.
Use no other flavoring except either honey or some salt.
Once the vegetables are blended, strain the mixture and drink around half a glass or more.
It takes around three hours to feel the effect as the vegetables neutralize the acids in the stomach.
Passion flowers, Chamomile and Cinnamon tea
Bee Stings & Insect Bites
Whether you are bitten by a bug or stung by a jellyfish, vinegar is capable of healing the pain immediately.
Drink plenty of water.
Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and foods rich in fibre, eg wholemeal bread.
Boil 1 kg carrots in a litre of water for 2 hours. Then, blend in a liquidiser or rub through a sieve. Drink the soup.
Boil prunes, and drink the juice.
Just eat four prunes twice a day and you will have the most effective and gentlest home remedy for constipation.
The leaf of a common plant, aloe, when applied to the sunburn area can heal it in a few minutes.
Vinegar mixed in water in a ratio of 50-50 is useful against sunburns.
Lay the patient down straight on the back and apply onion paste on the forehead.
Small cuts can be cured by placing some powered pepper on the affected area
This remedy proves beneficial in excessive bleeding. Boil 6 gm of coriander seeds in half liter water till the water is reduced to half. Drink it warm
Garlic is very beneficial in treating boils. The juice of garlic can be externally applied on boil. it helps in evacuating the pus. Pods of garlic should also be eaten with meals to treat the condition
The cumin seeds should be ground in water and made into a paste. This paste can be applied on affected area with beneficial result
Placing a clove next to the tooth will reduce the swelling and pain.
Swallow three grams of dry ginger powder with warm water to get rid of toothache.
Fresh ginger may also be chewed
One of the most common illnesses, diarrhea can be cured fast by drinking some fresh coconut water.
Or leaving grated apple to go brown and then eating it will work too
Or a Tablespoon of Condensed milk will do the trick.
Mint is very valuable in treating diarrhoea. It may be given in any form. If one teaspoon of mint juice is given with a teaspoon of lime juice and one teaspoon of honey, it shows excellent result
Heat a lemon and cut in two pieces. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, black pepper, sugar. Sucking it will immediately bring relief.
Sucking a fresh piece of ginger slowly helps in getting rid of hiccups that keeps occurring again and again
Add some cornstarch in water and take a bath with it. You will immediately be relieved from itchy skin.
Sores That Contain Pus
Wash sores well with soap and boiled water, as long as there is pus.
Leave small sores open to air and bandage large sores. Change bandage frequently.
Tell your child not to scratch the sores as this would spread the infection.
At night cover sores with a very hot tea bag and then wrap tightly with a bandage, the tea bag will draw the poison away.
Prickle or Splinter That You Cant get Out
At night cover sores with a very hot tea bag and then wrap tightly with a bandage, the tea bag will draw the poison away.
Urinary tract infection
100% pure cranberry juice should be consumed to relieve urinary tract infections.
Some hot tea with fresh ginger is a good method of curing stomach aches.
Or Gingerale will help as well, but not to much
Ginger is the best known natural medicine to cure motion sickness. It should be consumed a few hours before the trip. Even some ginger candy can be useful during motion sickness and nausea.
Cuts & Wounds
Sprinkle some turmeric powder on the wound after cleaning it and then add a bandage. This spice also has some antibacterial characteristics.
Honey soothes the pain and bleeding and prevents bacterial infection because it honey got the anti-bacterial property.
Coffee powder on the cut clots the blood and immediately stops bleeding.
Crush a clove of garlic and apply on the wound. It immediately stops bleeding and pain
Unsweetened and plain yogurt is ideal to heal yeast infections
Yogurt is very useful in healing ache. A thin layer of yogurt over the affected area is the best known cure.
Take Omega 3 capsules, or eat a lot of fatty fish
- Chew 8-10 fresh mint leaves early in the morning on an empty stomach for one month.
- Having raw onions along with your meals will also keep acidity at bay.
- Drink a glass of lemon juice before each meal, it will help relieve acidity.
- Avoid too much tea, coffee, fried and fermented food as they stimulate acid production.
- Take a glass of water, add a pinch of baking soda and drink it at one go. It gives immediate relief.
- Take a glass of warm water, add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and have it every morning.
- Drink coconut water 3-4 times in a day.
Taking garlic in any form is beneficial in curing backache. Or boil some garlic cloves in mustard oil till the cloves become brown . Sieve and preserve in a bottle.
A massage of this oil work wonder in killing pain.
Ginger, Black pepper, Clove:
One-fourth teaspoon of ginger powder, 5 black pepper and one clove should be taken twice a day with warm milk or hot tea.
Boil fennel seeds in mustard oil. Use this oil for massage.
A massage of eucalyptus oil also proves helpful in getting rid of backache.
Lemon which is a high source of vitamin C is valuable in curing the problem of backache.
Drink juice of one lemon mixed with water and salt daily
Bandage dipped in ice cold water should be applied on the nose and forehead of the patient. It gives relief.
Extract juice of onion. Put two to three drops in each nostril. This stops the bleeding
Chew four to five basil leaves twice a day, and drink water.
It not only help to get rid of bad breath but also cures mouth ulcer.
Gargling twice daily with lemon water twice daily helps to freshen the breath.
Slow mastication of fennel after eating food also help in getting rid of foul breath.
Similarly, a clove can be sucked slowly after eating food.
Boil some cinnamon in a cup of water.
Use it as mouth wash.
This is another effective remedy to cure halitosis.
Use dried mint leaves as toothpowder everyday.
Turmeric possesses great curative properties and is very good for skin. Extract the juice of some raw turmeric and apply it externally on the infection.
At the same time, drink one spoon of turmeric juice mixed with equal quantity of honey to get rid of ringworm at the earliest.
Crush some garlic pods and extract the juice.
Add little lemon juice to it.
Apply the mixture on hairs just before sleeping.
Wash off in the morning.
Three to four application will help in getting rid of lice
Walnut oil can be directly applied on the infection to get good result in few days
Raw vegetable juice have proved beneficial in treating this disease.
300 ml of carrot juice mixed with 200 ml of spinach juice should be drunk everyday to see wonderful result
Treat Burn at Home with Onion:
Run cold water over the burnt area for five minutes. Cut a onion in slices and rub the slice over the burnt area. It immediately gives relief from the pain and reduces inflammation
Natural treatment for burn with Aloe Vera:
Mix the gel of aloe vera with some honey and apply it on the burnt area. It soothes the pain.
Treatment of Burn with Turmeric:
Mix turmeric powder with curd and apply it on the burnt area.
Let it stand for some 15 to 20 minutes and wash off.
The curative properties of turmeric helps to heal the injury very fast.
This paste may be applied again and again.
Prevent Blister with Tea-Bags:
Wet one tea-bag and apply it over the burnt area and keep it moist till the pain disappear. It prevents blister.
Get Relief From Pain with Ice:
Similarly, you can rub a cube of ice on the burnt area for 5 to 10 minutes to prevent blister and get relief from the pain.
Remove scars with Potatoes:
Slice a potato and keep the slice on the burnt area and bandage tightly. Keep the bandage for half hour. Potato gives immediate cooling effect and also removes scars.
Natural Remedy of burn with Cabbage:
Similarly, in place of potatoes, cabbage may be used.
Remove burn scars with Coconut oil and camphor:
Sometimes, burn leaves scar on the skin. This simple home remedy can be used to get rid of scars. Take two camphor cubes and mixed in 1 cup of coconut oil, preserve in a bottle. Apply it on the scar everyday.
Get Cooling effect with Toothpaste:
Toothpaste may be rubbed on burnt area.
It gives immediate cooling effect